Sunday, October 6, 2013

Z is for Zip-lining

Maybe I should do some sort of "Thailand A to Z" list because between Saturday's activity and the ZOO a few weeks ago I definitely have Z on lock (idea credit goes to my mom). I don't know what A would be, though . . . maybe Angkor Wat when I visit Cambodia next week (!). Although technically that's not in Thailand. Oh well. I'll be thinking on it.

Anyway, my roommate has been the mover and shaker as far as planning awesome activities in Thailand. A group of us had been planning on doing some zip-lining for about a month now because we could get a discount for reserving it early. Saturday was the big day - we got up to meet our 9 am van to take us up into the mountainous jungle area for some exciting times. I had never been zip-lining before but I thought it would be something I would totally enjoy - I love roller coasters, white water rafting, high ropes courses, and other extreme-ish activities. Basically anything that requires signing a waiver. With all the beautiful forest and natural areas, Thailand was definitely a cool place to check this off my bucket list.

We went with a company called Eagle Track, and it seemed well-frequented by tourists. We put on our harnesses and safety helmets, and we each given a hooked bamboo stick that turned out to be simple but effective braking system. A short truck ride brought us to the zip-lining course, a series of zip-lines and other features - all situated at the tops of enormous trees and hills.

Some of the lines were solo rides, but it was also fun to do one with a partner because we got up to a higher zipping speed but had twice the braking power.


Sometimes we had to cross bridges through the tree-tops or got to cross from platform to platform, which was made more, um, exciting, when one of the group member would shake the bridge on purpose (we were strapped in whole time, of course!). I thought I would be more nervous about zooming around way high up of the ground, but we were talking and laughing so much I didn't have time to be scared and just went for every new challenge! The guide told me this skateboard ride would be more fun doing "no hands," and he was right!


Sometimes we had to change heights to get to a new feature, but there aren't an elevators in the jungle. No elevators that are operated by electricity, that is! This is a photo of me up from below (maybe not one of my better angles) as I got dropped down on a pulley to the lower platform.


Anyway, I had a blast and the day went by too quickly. We got to eat a tasty Thai lunch before heading back to Chiang Mai with some new memories as well as a certificate of completion and a trendy new t-shirt. Can't believe it took me 20 years to try our zip-lining. My first time was definitely not the last!



No comments:

Post a Comment