Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Stories from Hong Kong: Part 1

Hello everyone! I am on a vacation from my vacation of sorts, as I am back from my international travels for a little less than 48 hours before heading up the mountain for my meditation retreat on Thursday. I will try to cram in as many of my new stories as possible (to be continued after fall break, of course), so let's get started!

On Saturday the 12th (gosh, that seems so long ago!) we had a leisurely day to finish packing and then two of my friends and I hopped on a plane to Hong Kong! A surprisingly short flight of only 2 hours and 45 minutes. We got in a little on the late side, but luckily the cousin we were staying with was willing to come meet us at the airport and help us navigate the underground trains back to her apartment. Technically, she is my second cousin once removed on my mom's side, because her grandmother was my great-grandfather's sister (riddle that out!). It's very much like my family to call upon distant relatives (even those I haven't seen since I was four years old), but the way we figured it, it would be a shame for kin not to meet up when they happen to be in the same area halfway across the world.

My cousin had a friend staying with her as well, so that made for 5 people, 1 dog, and 1 cat all in a 2-bedroom apartment on Hong Kong Island but we made it work! Actually pretty roomy for Asia. There was so much to do and see in Hong Kong that we really used it as more of a home base. It was a bit late to do anything on Saturday night (although Hong Kong is big on the night culture) so we headed to bed. Luckily, night culture also means quiet mornings, so we didn't have to get going until noon or so the next day (Sunday). We took a quick turn around the neighborhood before going to lunch to admire my cousin's neighborhood, North Point.


The first order of business was dim sum, which is basically Cantonese brunch. We went to a very local, vegetarian place and stuffed ourselves on spring rolls, rice rolls, Chinese cabbage, "pork" buns, noodles, and dumplings, washing it all down with tea. Dim sum is available in the U.S., but according to my cousin it simply isn't the same as the authentic experience. 


My cousin teaches English classes on Sunday afternoons, so two of her friends plus us three checked out the various markets on the other side of the harbor. First up was the bird market, which you could hear from a block away. It was a side street just lined with stalls selling all sorts of exotic birds, cages, and everything you would need for a feathered friend. Too bad customs would frown upon me bringing a bird back to the U.S., because some of them were really beautiful!


Next up was the flower market, which I thought would be more cut flowers and arrangements but was actually a lot of potted flowers for balconies and such so people could have gardens in the big city. As you can imagine, it was even more colorful than the bird market. We also got a quick snack of egg tarts, which are super popular in Hong Kong. My cousin's friend recommended one flavored with coconut milk, and it was a scrumptious suggestion. I need to find the recipe to make them at home!


Then we wandered over to the fish market, which I was surprised to find did not sell fish to eat for dinner, but rather fish to keep as pets. I guess if you live in the city and don't have a sprawling apartment like my cousin, fish and birds are your only options. There were other types of small pets scattered throughout the market as well, such as tiny turtles and guinea pigs.


After all that market-ing we needed a quick pick-me-up at a local mall, so we headed in for the air conditioning and the bathroom. After meeting back up with my cousin, we went over to the Ladies' Market, which reminded me much of the walking street markets in Chiang Mai, selling mostly souvenirs.


The sun set as we wandered the Ladies' Market, and our tummies were starting to rumble so we caught a couple taxis to Temple Street Market for dinner. Much of Eastern dining is done family-style, so we ordered spring rolls, broccoli, noodles, curry rice, and scallops at a street restaurant on the edge of the market. After dinner we checked out the wares at Temple Street, just to round out our very market-filled day. 


Our final stop before crossing back over to the island was the Avenue of Stars right near the Hong Kong Cultural Center. This was one of the best places to see the island skyline, and what a sight it was. I almost couldn't stop taking pictures.


We crossed the water via ferry and then headed to a bar for a taste of the Hong Kong nightlife. Got to have a well-rounded experience, right? It was nice being with friends because we definitely had each others' backs and all made it back to the apartment safe and sound. 

That was all just day one in Hong Kong! Stay tuned for Part 2 (covering days two and three). Many, many more stories to come.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica -

    This skyline picture is breath-taking! I especially like the choppy water in the foreground.

    Love Always,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete