Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Quick PSA

Hi everyone! Just a quick post to say there won't be another post . . . but only for a little while! I know some of you were panicking just then. No, seriously, I will be leaving tomorrow for an excursion to the Golden Triangle! If you need a brush up on your Southeast Asian geography, that's where Thailand meets Laos and Burma. In fact, I will be briefly crossing into Burma, mostly to be able to say, "Yeah, I've been to Burma." If you follow global news, you'll know that Burma has been fighting an ethnic civil war since 1949 and has been basically under military rule for just as long - right up until 2010, when they held their first real election (although the party that won is comprised of former military officials).

Things are still pretty rocky over there, but don't you worry, I am only going to a market for a couple hours and will be perfectly fine. Barrack Obama and Hillary Clinton have both visited Burma, by the way. Fun fact. Also, you may have noticed that I keep calling it "Burma" instead of "Myanmar," as some of you may know it as. "Myanmar" is the name given to the country by the military-government which was not always recognized a legitimate, so calling it Burma shows a solidarity with the people who have suffered (and are still suffering) at the hands of this "government." All of my BEAM students are from Burma, if you recall.

Anyway. I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories to tell and pictures to share when I get back late Saturday afternoon! Thanks for reading and catch you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment